Sunday, July 2, 2017

Hiking The Thames Valley Trail: Section 4-Delaware to Komoka Provincial Park and Section 5-Komoka Provincial Park-Main Trail

   Yesterday (by which I mean today if I actually get it posted today) we really had nothing planned so rather than work on the backyard or cut the grass I decided to knock off another two sections of the Thames Valley Trail.
   At the end of my last section (which almost killed me) I found myself at a conservation area in the town of Delaware, about ten minutes outside of London. My wife, Doralyn, graciously consented to driving me back there to begin the next leg, Delaware to Komoka Provincial Park. The plan was to finish this leg and then tack on the next one, the White Trail running through Komoka. On top of this, I was just going to walk home after that which would then take a little off the next section, from Komoka to Kains Woods. Confused yet?
   It was about 25C (77F) when I got dropped off today and this was about 10 degrees cooler than last week, when I had all my difficulties. I had taken the extra precaution of freezing both my water bottles and adding extra Nuun, as well. I had also just purchased a Tilley hiking hat with a cooling insert. As well, I brought along some extra fuel, so it seemed as though I'd covered a few extra bases.
   The first stretch involved a lot of highway hiking so it went pretty quickly. At one point you dip down toward the river, under a bridge and then along the river for a bit but you eventually end up doing another long highway stretch before you get to Komoka.
   Once at Komoka, I was in very familiar territory, having spent much time either running or hiking through it. Kinda felt good not to follow directions for a change! I kind of motored through Komoka and eventually found myself back on Oxford Street, near Kilworth. From here, it was just another highway jaunt til I was back home. Along the way, though, I stopped to visit a pioneer cemetery nestled on a tiny little hill beside the highway. After a little genealogy research, I have discovered that the areas I have been running and hiking through the last year or so are rife with ancestors I never knew I had. And I discovered a few more in this cemetery!
   By the time I had made it home, I had logged in almost 14K. The water and fuel both lasted til the end. So far this evening (or perhaps last night, depending on whether I get this published tonight or not) the godawful thigh cramps are also being held at bay, fingers crossed.
   The next two sections of the TVT will have me continuing to hike on familiar territory and, in fact, will briefly have me back on my own street! From there, the trail winds its way through downtown London before it heads north and out of the city. I also have a couple weeks of holiday coming up and hopefully this will put a big dent in what's left to hike!
   As per usual, the following is a bit of a photo dump, just to acknowledge that I actually walked the walk today!

The beginning---Delaware Conservation Area

Little town of Delaware

Bot soon on the highway

Dipping into the woods near Komoka Bridge

And then under the bridge....

...where this is the view

Nice to know I was on the right trail!

Back up from the river

And back on the highway



Til I get to the giant Legos which mark the
entry point to Komoka

The famous (if you read this blog) Steps!

Much steeper than it looks

Back to Oxford

Here I am!


The little pioneer cemetery---totally
coincidental that it says "Baker" on it.

Peaceful little place

Great to be back home.....

...but even better because of THIS!

4 comments:

  1. Awesome Brian! That's a long leg - well done. Have you ever tried Magnesium for thigh cramps? I've found any cramping or even twitching I get is eased by a product called Natural Calm. Anyways, enjoyed reading and ya it's cool to see other hikers go the same places I do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Heather, I will do some research on Natural Calm! I do the magnesium thing when I remember but that's only when I remember---it's kind of new to my routine so might take awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha cemetery .... not sure .... maybe it was there for motivation! Good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cemetery. Yes. I always try to make it past the point where all the other people are dead! That's my motto!

      Delete