Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Hiking The Thames Valley Trail: Section 10-Gibbons Park to Kilally Meadows and Section 11-Kilally Meadows to Fanshawe Park

   It was another beautiful day here in London, Ontario and I am on my second week of holidays and,  not only that, Doralyn was busy today doing things with her mum today so I took this opportunity to get in two more sections of the Thames Valley Trail. 
   I drove my car out to the Ted Early Sports Complex on Clarke Road, which was near today's end point. Doralyn followed me there, I left my car so I could use it later to get home and then Doralyn drove me to Gibbons Park, where I had left off the other day.
   It was about 28C (82F) with humidity putting it up to round about 34C (93F) when I started hiking so I made sure I had plenty of fluids when I headed out and fuel for later. The nice part was that most of the walking was in shaded forest and that certainly helps with the heat (until later anyways...)
   Also one of the nice things about the recent hikes is that they've been inside the city. This has allowed me to see parts of London from angles I wouldn't normally. Rather than looking down to the river as I cross a bridge I'm looking up at the undersides of the bridge from the river. Rather than the fronts of buildings, I'm seeing what they look like from behind. It's actually a pretty cool way to see the city!
   So now it's time for the usual huge photo dump, cuz I walked the walk!



Just left Gibbons Park and hiking
along the river, generally
toward Western University


Awesome (and somewhat creepy) root
system. There were a few of these today.

Just before University Bridge


Richmond Street bridge

King's College, affiliated with Western.

St. Peter's Seminary


In behind St. Peter's.

Approaching Adelaide Street bridge.

The start of today's second section. About
to enter Kilally Meadows.

Hiking through Kilally

Still in Kilally

A section of the trail in Kilally
essentially runs through
peoples' back yards.

Just leaving Kilally and headed for...

...Highbury Ave.

Then down to Highbury and Kilally Ave.

A LONG, hot and seemingly all uphill
hike along Kilally. Actually 1.5K

Passed by a couple of beautiful horses
but by the time I got my phone out to
take a pic, the one horse had wandered
off and, unfortunately, my camera
focused more on the tree...

Kilally and Clarke Road. My car was
about a kilometer south of here
but I was headed north for a bit.

The end point for today's second section.
Next time out, headed into Fanshawe Park.

2 comments:

  1. Nice pictures. I like the tree roots; always so interesting. I bet by now you've seen bits of London that most people who have lived there their entire lives have never seen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Crystal! I can honestly say you're correct on that one! Basically, I kind of saw it from its underbelly, at least infrastructure-wise!

      Delete