Monday, August 12, 2013

BodyFlow (or how my body fled)

   One of the benefits of recently joining Goodlife Fitness was the ability to take part in being orientated to the different fitness classes they run there.
   One of these classes is called BodyFlow.
Looks easy, doesn't it?
   BodyFlow is a one-hour class involving a combination of yoga, tai-chi and pilates. It is also karma's way of getting back at you for anything bad you may ever have done!
   Before attending my first BodyFlow class, my initial few visits to the gym consisted of getting together with a trainer and having him put me through my paces on all the machines they had there. The man worked me hard, made muscles hurt in places I didn't know contained actual muscle and, generally, wore me out.
   The sweet little, white-haired, smooth and soothe-talking lady who ran the first BodyFlow class I attended, however, kicked my ass from here to there and back again!
   There were about 25 to 30 of us who took this class and out of that many, Doralyn and I and one other lady were the only "newbies". We were surrounded mainly by lithe-bodied young(er) females, all of whom knew the poses and routines and were able to follow them flawlessly. Doralyn is pretty flexible and kind of in to the whole yoga thing and she didn't have a problem. I, however, was totally lost.
   It would take me an extra twenty seconds to force myself into an approximation of the position the rest of the class went into effortlessly. Then, having finally achieved this, I would take a quick peek at the instructor only to find out she and the class had already moved on to the next position. People were flipping from one position to another without seeming to elevate from the mat while I often had to stand all the way up, turn around and force myself back down again. Real horror show.
I could do this.
   There was one other guy there who looked like he might be in his forties and he wasn't having the easiest of times either. At one point the both of us found ourselves in a standing (while everyone else was on their mat) position at the same time. I kind of looked around, saw him, and all of the sudden had this hey bud, wanna go somewhere for a beer? thought wander through my head. Sadly, though, my telepathic powers seem to be lacking when I need them the most.
   There were a couple of positions that I would really need to fall off a ladder and get myself wedged in the bushes to even come close to duplicating. I also actually planked for the first time. I'd heard about planking and it seemed pretty easy so when the sweet little lady announced that this was what we were going to do, I thought finally, piece of cake. I got myself into the plank position and it was easy. And then the lady asked us...to do stuff! Like wave your arms around, rotate your legs, reach behind you. Cruel, medieval stuff!

This...not so much.
   At the end of all that, I'm pretty well face down on the mat and realized that I was engaged in my own little bodyflow---like right off my forehead, down the bridge of my nose and then drip---right onto the mat. In torrents. I turned to Doralyn and mouthed a two-word expletive involving religious procreation. She just giggled.
   BodyFlow is an awesome workout, mark my words. The following day I felt pretty good. Until I laughed. Then my abs let me know just how good a workout BodyFlow really is!
  
  

2 comments:

  1. That is hysterical. I took a group yoga class once...once being the key. I think it is best for the safety of all those working out if I steer clear of group classes. I could probably accidentally maim someone is zumba.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol There were a couple of times when I actually almost fell on the short little woman in front of me....

      Delete